Monday, March 5, 2012

Good Night

So I finally had a good night's sleep last night. And I didn't wake up in the Sixties or the 1840s or the Middle Ages. I woke up in my own bed in my own time.

Which left me with a full day to do things. So I did my laundry (including the bits of clothing I've picked up from my jaunts in other times) and cleaned the house. Roland was out checking on his investments, Mona was out shopping for food, so the only one left in the house was Bally. She was sitting on the couch reading The Sirens of Titan.

"I don't think I get it," she said. "I mean, it's just so confusing."

"Then stop reading it," I said. "Read something you like. Something you want to read."

"But I want to read this," she said. "Mona told me I should. Said it would help me understand. I mean, I've read Slaughterhouse-Five and I know why that's relevant, but I don't understand why this would be. I mean, we're not...smeared through time. We're just unstuck."

"I don't think she meant it like that," I said as a swept up the crumbs around her. "She didn't mean the situation applied to us. I think she meant the philosophy."

"That's what I don't understand." Bally bit into a new cookie and I swept up the crumbs that fell from it as well. "From what I read, it seems like...nothing can be changed. Everything is sort of futile. And that's just depressing."

"That's why I recommend reading a book you like," I said. "You don't have to read what Mona wants. You don't have to believe the things she does. Heck, you don't even have to call yourself a Pilgrim."

"But I want to," she said. "I don't want to meet Shivering Johnny again. I like being part of a group."

"We're still a group even if we don't all believe in the same thing," I said. "Personally, I don't believe everything's futile. If I did, I wouldn't care about anything and I do. You just have to decide what you believe in."

"I don't know," Bally said.

"I don't mean right now," I said. "You can take however long you want. Hell, we have all the time in the world."

So that was my day. Cleaning and discussing philosophy.

Now let's see if I can have another good night's sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment